BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
FrankPoppe
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Chris,

At Las Vegas we tried to get as much information as possible about SAS Viya. Our focus was primarily on two topics:

- how existing SAS implementations could be combined with SAS Viya,

- how metadata from SAS Viya can be combined with existing metadata, so that the data lineage from sources to BI reports still can be produced (something SAS always stresses as a major plus).

We now have, for jsut 2 or 3 weeks, access to the 'SAS Viya Early Preview'. It is probably to early to address the second point, but would it already be possible to create a Data Transfer transformation from my local DI Studio job to this session? I have no clue how to do that.

Right now SAS Viya looks like a standard SAS Studio session, only with a new kind of engine for a libref (CAS), and some specific tasks for the areas now available.

This may sound a bit disappointed, but in itself I see this as something positive: for an end user there should be as little change as possible. But we, as SAS consultants, are trying to understand what goes on behind the scene.

RIght now this preview does not help us much further, it seems.

Thanks for any further info,

Frank Poppe

PW Consulting, the Netherlands

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @FrankPoppe, I moved this discussion from the main "SAS Viya" board to this early preview area. I'll let other SAS experts reply to the question you posed.

Thanks for using the communities to share your question and feedback!

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

Rest assured, SAS has placed a priority on ensuring connectivity between SAS V9 environments and SAS Viya environments.  We're working on technical material to help explain the way you'd handle such actions as accessing and transferring data, moving models, promoting reports, and remotely executing code between the two environments.

That said, the SAS Viya Early Preview program is designed to be used solely with the supplied sample data and code.  It is not intended to support data transfer or access outside of the SAS-hosted environment.  Existing SAS customers can apply to the free trial program of the SAS Viya Data Mining and Machine Learning product.  You'll find a link to that form at the bottom of the main SAS Viya page (sas.com/viya).  These free trial environments can be installed at your site, and thus leverage your data, including that from a V9 environment.

As you've noted, the programming interface for the Early Preview program is indeed a modified version of SAS Studio.  The Early Preview is intended as a test drive of the new SAS Viya Data Mining and Machine Learning analytic tasks/actions offered using this interface.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation