Building models with SAS Enterprise Miner, SAS Factory Miner, SAS Visual Data Mining and Machine Learning or just with programming

Limitations of SAS Enterprise Miner's variable selection method

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Limitations of SAS Enterprise Miner's variable selection method

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, does SAS enteprise Miner's stepwise selection methods (Stepwise, Forward, Backward) take collinearity in the model into account? Or does one have to separately handle collinearity first before using the stepwise selection methods?

Thanks,

Paul

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎05-02-2017 01:09 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Limitations of SAS Enterprise Miner's variable selection method

This post from my colleague a few years ago might help:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Tip-How-to-Apply-the-VIF-Regression-Algorithm...

Also, the HP Regression node now outputs a Variance Inflation Factor table when you do a linear regression. The VIF measures how much the variance of a coefficient is increased due to collinearity. A VIF value of 1 indicates that there is no collinearity. Large values, for example 10 or more, indicate that collinearity might be a significant issue in the model.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎05-02-2017 01:09 PM
SAS Super FREQ

This post from my colleague a few years ago might help:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Tip-How-to-Apply-the-VIF-Regression-Algorithm...

Also, the HP Regression node now outputs a Variance Inflation Factor table when you do a linear regression. The VIF measures how much the variance of a coefficient is increased due to collinearity. A VIF value of 1 indicates that there is no collinearity. Large values, for example 10 or more, indicate that collinearity might be a significant issue in the model.

Contributor

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the answer and article..

Paul

Trusted Advisor

[ Edited ]

frupaul wrote:

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, does SAS enteprise Miner's stepwise selection methods (Stepwise, Forward, Backward) take collinearity in the model into account? Or does one have to separately handle collinearity first before using the stepwise selection methods?

Thanks,

Paul

You could use Partial Least Squares regression, which is less sensitive to collinearity than Stepwise/Forward/Backward methods (which also have other drawbacks). With PLS, the issue of variable selection goes away (you use all variables) and you get coefficient estimates and predicted values which have lower mean square error than ordinary least squares regression methods, as shown in http://amstat.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00401706.1993.10485033

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation