BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
frupaul
Quartz | Level 8

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, does SAS enteprise Miner's stepwise selection methods (Stepwise, Forward, Backward) take collinearity in the model into account? Or does one have to separately handle collinearity first before using the stepwise selection methods?

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

This post from my colleague a few years ago might help:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Tip-How-to-Apply-the-VIF-Regression-Algorithm...

Also, the HP Regression node now outputs a Variance Inflation Factor table when you do a linear regression. The VIF measures how much the variance of a coefficient is increased due to collinearity. A VIF value of 1 indicates that there is no collinearity. Large values, for example 10 or more, indicate that collinearity might be a significant issue in the model.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

This post from my colleague a few years ago might help:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Tip-How-to-Apply-the-VIF-Regression-Algorithm...

Also, the HP Regression node now outputs a Variance Inflation Factor table when you do a linear regression. The VIF measures how much the variance of a coefficient is increased due to collinearity. A VIF value of 1 indicates that there is no collinearity. Large values, for example 10 or more, indicate that collinearity might be a significant issue in the model.

frupaul
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the answer and article..

Paul

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@frupaul wrote:

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, does SAS enteprise Miner's stepwise selection methods (Stepwise, Forward, Backward) take collinearity in the model into account? Or does one have to separately handle collinearity first before using the stepwise selection methods?

Thanks,

Paul

You could use Partial Least Squares regression, which is less sensitive to collinearity than Stepwise/Forward/Backward methods (which also have other drawbacks). With PLS, the issue of variable selection goes away (you use all variables) and you get coefficient estimates and predicted values which have lower mean square error than ordinary least squares regression methods, as shown in http://amstat.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00401706.1993.10485033

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation