BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
arindam1984
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I am using the Principal Component node in SAS Miner for variable reduction. For a subset of the data, I am getting "Inverse iteration for eigenvectors fails" error. The data has about 800 columns and 3314 rows.

The Principal Component node runs fine when I run it with 16053 rows and 800 columns. In this 16053 rows, the previous 3314 rows is also included.

Is there a way to get past this error?

Thanks

Arindam

4 REPLIES 4
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Do you have lots of missing values in the data? If so, the algorithm might be dropping the missing cases and you are ending up with fewer (valid) rows than columns. Try performing listwise deletion on the 3314 rows so that you keep only the complete cases. Are there more than 800 complete cases?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

But PCA should work just fine with fewer rows than columns (unless there's something about the way it is implemented in EM)

--
Paige Miller
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

@PaigeMiller is correct. Sorry for the confusion.

arindam1984
Obsidian | Level 7

It must be due to some nature of the data in play at the time of matrix inversion. If I take out a further section of my original data then PC node works. So it is definately not failing due to the amount of records, more like the relationship between the records at the time of PC derivation. So even if a PC calculation of 1000 records can fail, but a subset of the same records may not fail. Similarly if the 1000 records are included in a dataset of 2000 records, then also it may not fail.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation