Building models with SAS Enterprise Miner, SAS Factory Miner, SAS Visual Data Mining and Machine Learning or just with programming

Interval & Nominal Variables

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Interval & Nominal Variables

When a dataset is read in SAS the varaibles are classifies as numeric in character . While SAS Enterprise miner classifies them as nominal & interval . Can some one tell me how is it done in Miner(the logic) & how it can be achieved using SAS Enterprise Guide? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
3 weeks ago
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Interval & Nominal Variables

For your first question, when using the "Basic Advisor" in Enterprise Miner, it is just assigning numeric variables to Interval and character variables to Nominal.  With the "Advanced Advisor", the assignment for numeric variables is based on the number of levels the user specifies (20 by default, so numeric variables with < 20 levels would be set to Nominal and >=20 would be Interval).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
3 weeks ago
SAS Super FREQ

For your first question, when using the "Basic Advisor" in Enterprise Miner, it is just assigning numeric variables to Interval and character variables to Nominal.  With the "Advanced Advisor", the assignment for numeric variables is based on the number of levels the user specifies (20 by default, so numeric variables with < 20 levels would be set to Nominal and >=20 would be Interval).

SAS Employee

What is your goal in Enterprise Guide? This will determine what you need to do.
Contributor

Hi Melodie ,

Thanks for your reply. I need to run a random forest in EG & that requires the nominal & interval variables to be specified using the HPForest:

PROC HPFOREST data=testdata maxtrees=100;
target Ind/level=binary;
input &nom_vars/level=nominal;
input &int_var /level=interval;
run;

I know in Miner its a lot easier but I want to replicate the same thing using EG.

Thanks again!!

SAS Employee

It seems you have already answered your own question. You would need to assign the variables to the nominal and interval level based on the number of levels. You could use the FREQ procedure to determine the number and nature of levels. Please help me understand what is not working if you are still having difficulty! Thx, D
☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation