BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MarcosEilert
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I need help on the node "Interactive Grouping" from Sas Enterprise Miner.

To be more specific, I need to understand what does the option "Smallest Branch with Residual" from "Missing Values" Parameter.

What is the theoretical background of this option? How works the algorithm?

Someone have any book suggestions or other content that can help me answer these questions?

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
M_Maldonado
Barite | Level 11

Interactive Grouping has the option to use two approaches to come up with the bins or groups for each of your input variables. One way is to use a decision tree using proc arbor, the other is an operation research approach using proc optbin.

When you use a decision tree through the options Optimal Criterion, Quantile, or Monotonic Event Rate,  you have all the tree based grouping options that you would expect.

If you are familiar with proc arbor, the small residual option assign missing values to the leaf so that the Sum of Square Error is the lowest. It might have a different name in other decision tree algorithms.

You can find more information on proc arbor and its missing value handling in this document. Missing value options are discussed in page 17. http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/miner/em43/allproc.pdf

I hope it helps,

Miguel

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation