BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
eagles_dare13
Obsidian | Level 7

I wish to simulate(generate) a list of random numbers, where I specify the number of observations that I wish, the underlying distribution(normal,lognormal), the mean, the std. deviation and I want as  output a list of random numbers from this distribution.

Further I wish to draw a probability plot of these numbers, conforming to stathe distribution that they were drawn from.

How to do it in SAS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

This is found in Chapter 2 of Simulating Data with SAS. In the DATA step, use the RAND function within a loop to generate the data. Use the PROPPLOT statement in the UNIVARIATE procedure to construct the probability plot:

data Random;

N = 100;    /* sample size */

family = "Normal";  /* or "Lognormal" */

mean = 8;

stdDev = 3;

do i = 1 to N;

x = rand(family, mean, stdDev);

output;

end;

run;

/* draw propability plot */

proc univariate data=Random;

var x;

probplot x / square normal; /* or lognormal; optionally specify popluation parameters */

run;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
M_Maldonado
Barite | Level 11

This book is essential for what you want to do. Absolutely recommended!

Simulating Data with SAS® by

Astounding
PROC Star

This might be a good place to start:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000202908.htm

The example in the "Details" section is pretty close to one of your objectives.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

This is found in Chapter 2 of Simulating Data with SAS. In the DATA step, use the RAND function within a loop to generate the data. Use the PROPPLOT statement in the UNIVARIATE procedure to construct the probability plot:

data Random;

N = 100;    /* sample size */

family = "Normal";  /* or "Lognormal" */

mean = 8;

stdDev = 3;

do i = 1 to N;

x = rand(family, mean, stdDev);

output;

end;

run;

/* draw propability plot */

proc univariate data=Random;

var x;

probplot x / square normal; /* or lognormal; optionally specify popluation parameters */

run;

eagles_dare13
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks. How come the probplot does not represent a bell curve but more like a 45 degree straight line?

WendyCzika
SAS Employee

The probplot isn't plotting the distribution of x, but a probability plot, similar to a Q-Q plot.  This is from the doc:

The PROBPLOT statement creates a probability plot, which compares ordered variable values with the percentiles of a specified theoretical distribution. If the data distribution matches the theoretical distribution, the points on the plot form a linear pattern. Consequently, you can use a probability plot to determine how well a theoretical distribution models a set of measurements.

eagles_dare13
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks. How to get the plot of the distribution? I am looking for something like xyplot(x, p);

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can get a histogram of the simulated sample by using the HISTOGRAM statement in PROC UNIVARIATE. To overlay a line plot of the distribution, specify the distribution name and any known parameters after a "slash" (/) :

histogram x / normal; /* or lognormal; optionally specify popluation parameters */

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation