BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Dear Consultans,

I need to know how to build recommendation system in SAS E-Miner ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
M_Maldonado
Barite | Level 11

Hi Hussein,

Apologies in advance but the answer is: it depends.

Most people think the go-to algorithm for recommendation engines should always be collaborative filtering. This algorithm is very famous becuase it was used to solve the Netflix challenge. This means that if you are trying to solve a similar problem, you should probably start with collaborative filtering, which is not available in Enterprise Miner.

However, that does not mean that you cannot build a recommendation engine based on some other algorithm. Several customers build very successful recommendation engines based on measures such as simmilarity, nearest neighbor, or SVDs (who would think Text Mining nodes calculate those!?). If you need to update your model constantly, you may not want to use EM, unless you are realy good at programming and running Batch code.

The painful part is that you might have to try several algorithms and there is not a "Model Comparison" node for which one suits best your recommendation purposes. But as often happens in data mining, you learn as much from what does not work as you do from what actually works.

If I had to start somewhere, I would try the association node (if my items are in a transaction format), or the link analysis node. Here a paper that vouches for using other algorithms and other methods: www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9780387858197-c1.pdf

Good luck!

-Miguel

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JasonXin
SAS Employee
husseinmazaar ,

As of now, there is no direct product feature or node in EM that does recommendation, say, collaborative filtering, although one may very well use Memory Base Reasoning (another name for KNN) and clustering capability to build out recommendations or next-best-offers. SAS in-memory product IMSTAT sports explicit Recommendation facility. Hope this helps. Best Regards. Jason Xin
M_Maldonado
Barite | Level 11

Hi Hussein,

Apologies in advance but the answer is: it depends.

Most people think the go-to algorithm for recommendation engines should always be collaborative filtering. This algorithm is very famous becuase it was used to solve the Netflix challenge. This means that if you are trying to solve a similar problem, you should probably start with collaborative filtering, which is not available in Enterprise Miner.

However, that does not mean that you cannot build a recommendation engine based on some other algorithm. Several customers build very successful recommendation engines based on measures such as simmilarity, nearest neighbor, or SVDs (who would think Text Mining nodes calculate those!?). If you need to update your model constantly, you may not want to use EM, unless you are realy good at programming and running Batch code.

The painful part is that you might have to try several algorithms and there is not a "Model Comparison" node for which one suits best your recommendation purposes. But as often happens in data mining, you learn as much from what does not work as you do from what actually works.

If I had to start somewhere, I would try the association node (if my items are in a transaction format), or the link analysis node. Here a paper that vouches for using other algorithms and other methods: www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9780387858197-c1.pdf

Good luck!

-Miguel

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation