BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mike90
Quartz | Level 8

If I connect two HP GLM nodes to a Model Comparison node, the node fails, with the error message "ERROR: Must use one target variable modeled by a predecessor node."   The HP GLM nodes have exactly 1 target variable, as indicated in the Variable Summary in the Results.

If I connect one HP GLM node and one decision tree node to the Model Comparison node, it only uses the decision tree.

The partition is 40/30/30. 

SAS Enterprise Miner 14.2

This document shows an HP GLM node directly in between a Data Partition node and a Model Comparison node.  This indicates a special code node is not needed.  "What’s New in SAS Enterprise Miner™ 13.1."   https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS311-2014.pdf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

Actually I just tried this work-around that worked: put a Model Import node in between HP GLM and Model Comparison, then I think it will include HP GLM for discrete distributions in your Model Comparison.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

When you specify a discrete distribution for the Interval Target Probability Distribution property, model assessment is not performed and model comparison with the Model Comparison node is unavailable.The Fit Statistics table from the HPGENSELECT procedure shown in the Output window can help you compare between 2 HP GLM runs.

Mike90
Quartz | Level 8

The target is of type Interval, and is discrete, as it consists of integers from 1 to around 1100 (days), and is an exponential distribution.  I don't need discrete predictions.

I ran the HP GLM node with the default settings.  Changing the target probability distribution from Poisson to Tweedie results in fit statistics, and the results appear in the Model Comparison node. 

The help pages mention what you said about target probability distributions that are discrete, but they fail to say which ones are discrete.   I did a few Google searches, and I'm not finding that information.  I'll keep looking.  I could make models with the other 6 types to determine this, but I'd like more detailed information.

WendyCzika
SAS Employee

Poisson, Negative binomial, and the ZI versions of those are the discrete ones.

Mike90
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks.  I've found some documentation on this now.

I don't get why necessary data isn't passed on for model comparison, but at leas I now know that Model Comparison won't work with the discrete target probability options.

WendyCzika
SAS Employee

Actually I just tried this work-around that worked: put a Model Import node in between HP GLM and Model Comparison, then I think it will include HP GLM for discrete distributions in your Model Comparison.

Mike90
Quartz | Level 8

This works.

(The Model Comparison node uses the name of the import node, which has a default of MdlImp,)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation