BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sam_zirak
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,
I am trying to predict an interval target (customer spend in $) using GLM in SAS EM 13.2. I have 80K observations and 300 variables.
The problem that I have with the final model is that the minimum prediction for the target is around $50 whereas 11K of customers have spent less than $50 in the training dataset and 1% of customers have spent less than $1.

Any thoughts on why is this happening or on how to fix it?
The probability distribution that I have used in the GLM model is Gamma with a Log link function. I have also tried other prob. distributions as well as link functions like Tweedie or invert gaussian but Gamma with a log link function produced the smallest ASE. The distribution of Target variable is highly skewed on the right as there are plenty of customers spending lower amounts and only a few spending more than $1000.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated,
Thanks,
Sam

2 REPLIES 2
JBerry
Quartz | Level 8
Sometimes you are dealing with two different sets of underlying drivers, so something that might work is to see if you can identify those who spend less than $50 using a binary regression model first. If you can predict those (meaning you are getting a strong model), simply run the binary model first, and then run a separate GLM for each. I'll bet you can see which variables are different by comparing the GLM results.
Sam_zirak
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you JBerry,

I really liked your idea but I am still confused that why GLM is unable to predict those small spends even without segmenting the whole population.

I have already segmented the population based on the credit limit of customers: CL le $500 and CL g $500.

Thanks,

Sam

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation