BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
EricTsai
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have heard many success story using SVM in predictive modeling but according to my own experience, my SVM didn't outperform my basic Logistic regression in Enterprise Miner.

Could someone help me in fine tuning my SVM?  I believe I haven't done a great job in fine tuning my SVM in EMiner and that caused the underperformance of my SVM.

Any papers or any tutorials are more than welcome!

1 REPLY 1
gergely_batho
SAS Employee

I guess you want to compare a linear SVM to your Logistic Regression. (Otherwise it's not fair Smiley Happy )

Basically there is only one parameter, that you can use for tuning the linear SVM, it is the penalty value (C).

SVMs do not outperform Logistic Regression in every situation.

They are stable, work very well with high dimensional data...

SVMs are maximal margin classifiers. They work the best if there is a margin. In business terms this means your event and non-event cases are very different. There are only a few "in the middle".

Logistic Regression assumes a smooth transition of the probability as features change.

Don't forget to compare your models on an independent test set.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation