BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sachinkalra
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi

What is the difference between SAS EM cleint and EM workstation.

what I need both for ? I know I can make a predictive model in eminer workstation but what is the client for then?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ledfoot
SAS Employee

To be clear let’s establish a common lexicon. You can install EM in 2 basic forms.

These are described in the installation guide as "Client/Server" and "Workstation".

Both provide the graphical user interface referred to as the "Client".

So if you were running both it would not be immediately apparent which was which. The EM interface (Client) is identical on both Client/Server and Workstation installs unless you dig into the details.

Client/Server installs are the whole "enterprise" level, massively multiuser, model training, scoring, deploying and sharing, Swiss Army knife that is the envy of the data mining world.

(Can you tell I like it?)

If you have the hardware you can install the EM server on one big machine and install just the Client on as many smaller machine as you have licenses for and they can all share the big server where most of the work happens.

For customers with an appreciation of data mining in general but smaller user base and budget SAS provides the Workstation install.

Workstation only installs on Windows but it has a much smaller footprint on the machine than Client/Server.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ledfoot
SAS Employee

To be clear let’s establish a common lexicon. You can install EM in 2 basic forms.

These are described in the installation guide as "Client/Server" and "Workstation".

Both provide the graphical user interface referred to as the "Client".

So if you were running both it would not be immediately apparent which was which. The EM interface (Client) is identical on both Client/Server and Workstation installs unless you dig into the details.

Client/Server installs are the whole "enterprise" level, massively multiuser, model training, scoring, deploying and sharing, Swiss Army knife that is the envy of the data mining world.

(Can you tell I like it?)

If you have the hardware you can install the EM server on one big machine and install just the Client on as many smaller machine as you have licenses for and they can all share the big server where most of the work happens.

For customers with an appreciation of data mining in general but smaller user base and budget SAS provides the Workstation install.

Workstation only installs on Windows but it has a much smaller footprint on the machine than Client/Server.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation