BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RajeshKohli
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

Please can someone advise what could be the possible reason for the situation described below and how do I address it.

I am building a descison tree model using SAS EM 13.2, and I have it built it in 2 ways - 

1. Maximal (Interactive) decision tree - In this case, I have a tree built with 17 leafs.

2. Using the decision tree node, I am pruning it to get the optimal tree. In this case, I only get the root of the tree as the output. There are no branches or leaves further added.

Please can someone advise what could be the possible reason for this issue? I know there is overfitting in the maximal tree, however, pruning is not giving me any tree / results. Please advise.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
WendyCzika
SAS Employee

In the Decision Tree results, you can look at the Subtree Assessment Plot (under the View>Model menu) to possibly help see what's going on (why it's picking the tree with just the root node).  And I assume you are using validation data, correct?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation