BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Syed
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am building a predictive model using a decision tree, the target is binary (5.8% of the population) and there are both numeric and nominal explanatory variables. Once i build the model using the automatic mode i find that the result is blank i.e there is only the root node. I then tried building an interactive decision tree and found that the model was not able to predict many leavers.

Has anybody come across a blank decision tree and does this imply something wrong with a setting/input data etc

Regards

Syed

2 REPLIES 2
adjgiulio
Obsidian | Level 7

There are many reasons why that could be happening. In theory, your explanatory variables might not have enough power to generte a split. I very much doubt that is the case. If you provide more details it might be easier for us to help. Usually this comes down to a combination of factors. For example, if your sample is too small, and you try to predict a rare event, and you also set a minimum leaf size too high, the tree might not be able to find a split that satisfies purity and minimum leaf size at the same time.

G

Syed
Calcite | Level 5

thanks so much for the response, you were absolutely right about the settings, once changed the tree began to blossom.....

Very much appreciated, saved me a lot of time

Syed

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation