BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PiratDrogowy
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I'm still new to SAS Enterprise Miner.

I have a question: is there any possibility to create data source from .data file in SAS Enterprise Miner 6.2? Data sets come from UCI repository.

I would be grateful for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

I do not recognize that extension specifically but it is not uncommon for repositories to store text files with names such as the one you describe.  If it is a special file structure, the application which created can all but certainly export to a text format (e.g. .TXT, .CSV, etc...). 

I would suggest the following steps:

1 - try and open the document with an application that reads text 

2 - determine which delimeter(s) being used to separate the fields (e.g. tab, pipe, space, comma, etc...)

3 - if you Microsoft Excel, try and import the .DATA file specifying the appropriate delimiter(s) and verify the data imports correctly

4 - use the File Import node in SAS Enterprise Miner to save the Microsoft Excel file you created in step 3

Note: Although step 3 is not necessary technically, it provides you an opportunity to get your data into a more structured format that a text document so no additional work is required prior to importing it into SAS Enteprise Miner.  

I hope this helps!

Doug

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

I do not recognize that extension specifically but it is not uncommon for repositories to store text files with names such as the one you describe.  If it is a special file structure, the application which created can all but certainly export to a text format (e.g. .TXT, .CSV, etc...). 

I would suggest the following steps:

1 - try and open the document with an application that reads text 

2 - determine which delimeter(s) being used to separate the fields (e.g. tab, pipe, space, comma, etc...)

3 - if you Microsoft Excel, try and import the .DATA file specifying the appropriate delimiter(s) and verify the data imports correctly

4 - use the File Import node in SAS Enterprise Miner to save the Microsoft Excel file you created in step 3

Note: Although step 3 is not necessary technically, it provides you an opportunity to get your data into a more structured format that a text document so no additional work is required prior to importing it into SAS Enteprise Miner.  

I hope this helps!

Doug

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation