BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
FabioP
Calcite | Level 5

I have to export another person's EM project to import it to my account, or shared data.

I can't find the solution neither in EM or in the Management Console.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

There are a few steps involved in making sure a project can be moved.  I will assume in this case that you are moving the project to a machine which has the same operating system and number of bits (32-bit vs. 64-bit) as the original machine.  If you are changing the operating system or the number of bits, you will need to use the migration utility since a project folder contains catalogs which are specific to the operating system and number of bits.  

If the project is already in a location that you both have access/permission to read and write to, you don't need to move it all.   There are two parts to a SAS Enterprise Miner project -- the project folder and the project metadata.  The project folder contains the information about the data sources, the diagrams, the settings, the logs, etc... while the project metadata is just information that tells a client machine where to go and open the project.  Therefore, if you are accessing a project that resides in a server location that you both have permission to read and write from, you only need to create the project metadata on your client.  To do so, you take the same steps as you would to create a new project.

For example, suppose the project is named MyFriendsProject and it resides in the folder 

\\our_server\our_folder\our_projects\MyFriendsProject  

Note: the name of the project is typically used for the project folder

Then you must have read/write permission to the parent folder 

\\our_server\our_folder\our_projects\

in order to access the project.  To make this project visible in your client, follow the steps to create a new project in the same location with the same name.   Specifically, attempt to create a new project with 

Project Name:  MyFriendsProject

SAS Server Directory:   \\our_server\our_folder\our_projects\

When you finish the wizard attempting to create the project, SAS Enterprise Miner will alert you to the fact that a project already exists in the location and prompt you whether you want to open it.  If you accept, the project will open and you will have access to it.  

Should the project need to be moved, you will have a little bit more work even if it is on a machine with the same operating system.  You can move the project to the new location and you will still need to follow the steps as described above only replacing the SAS Server Directory information with the new SAS Server Directory (e.g. instead of \\our_server\our_folder\our_projects, it might be \\my_server\my_folder\my_projects).   You follow the same steps to make the project appear but you might need to define the libname relative to the new project location.   

For example, if the data sources for the project were in a library called OurLib and it was located at 

\\our_server\our_folder\our_data\

and you also had to move the data to 

\\my_server\my_folder\my_data\ 

then you would need to make sure the libname OurLib was redefined to point to the new location of the data which has been moved to your new server.  If the data has not been changed and the libname references in the original project have been updated to match the new data location, you should have complete access to the project.  

As I mentioned earlier, if you are changing the operating system or the number of bits, you must use the migration utility.  I will add one important tip -->  Make sure you are not placing the data or the project to locally mapped drive letters unless that drive is part of the machine itself.  For example, copying the data to a USB drive that has a mapped drive letter will not work since SAS Enterprise Miner needs to define the data relative to its location from the server using the fully qualified DNS pathname.  If you have mapped a drive letter F: to the data at 

\\my_server\my_folder\my_data

then you still must use the full pathname above in the libname definition as follows

libname OurLib ' \\my_server\my_folder\my_data';

for the project to be fully accessible.  Make sure the libname is assigned relative the server where SAS Enterprise Miner is installed rather than your locally mapped drive letter.

I hope this helps!

Doug

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

There are a few steps involved in making sure a project can be moved.  I will assume in this case that you are moving the project to a machine which has the same operating system and number of bits (32-bit vs. 64-bit) as the original machine.  If you are changing the operating system or the number of bits, you will need to use the migration utility since a project folder contains catalogs which are specific to the operating system and number of bits.  

If the project is already in a location that you both have access/permission to read and write to, you don't need to move it all.   There are two parts to a SAS Enterprise Miner project -- the project folder and the project metadata.  The project folder contains the information about the data sources, the diagrams, the settings, the logs, etc... while the project metadata is just information that tells a client machine where to go and open the project.  Therefore, if you are accessing a project that resides in a server location that you both have permission to read and write from, you only need to create the project metadata on your client.  To do so, you take the same steps as you would to create a new project.

For example, suppose the project is named MyFriendsProject and it resides in the folder 

\\our_server\our_folder\our_projects\MyFriendsProject  

Note: the name of the project is typically used for the project folder

Then you must have read/write permission to the parent folder 

\\our_server\our_folder\our_projects\

in order to access the project.  To make this project visible in your client, follow the steps to create a new project in the same location with the same name.   Specifically, attempt to create a new project with 

Project Name:  MyFriendsProject

SAS Server Directory:   \\our_server\our_folder\our_projects\

When you finish the wizard attempting to create the project, SAS Enterprise Miner will alert you to the fact that a project already exists in the location and prompt you whether you want to open it.  If you accept, the project will open and you will have access to it.  

Should the project need to be moved, you will have a little bit more work even if it is on a machine with the same operating system.  You can move the project to the new location and you will still need to follow the steps as described above only replacing the SAS Server Directory information with the new SAS Server Directory (e.g. instead of \\our_server\our_folder\our_projects, it might be \\my_server\my_folder\my_projects).   You follow the same steps to make the project appear but you might need to define the libname relative to the new project location.   

For example, if the data sources for the project were in a library called OurLib and it was located at 

\\our_server\our_folder\our_data\

and you also had to move the data to 

\\my_server\my_folder\my_data\ 

then you would need to make sure the libname OurLib was redefined to point to the new location of the data which has been moved to your new server.  If the data has not been changed and the libname references in the original project have been updated to match the new data location, you should have complete access to the project.  

As I mentioned earlier, if you are changing the operating system or the number of bits, you must use the migration utility.  I will add one important tip -->  Make sure you are not placing the data or the project to locally mapped drive letters unless that drive is part of the machine itself.  For example, copying the data to a USB drive that has a mapped drive letter will not work since SAS Enterprise Miner needs to define the data relative to its location from the server using the fully qualified DNS pathname.  If you have mapped a drive letter F: to the data at 

\\my_server\my_folder\my_data

then you still must use the full pathname above in the libname definition as follows

libname OurLib ' \\my_server\my_folder\my_data';

for the project to be fully accessible.  Make sure the libname is assigned relative the server where SAS Enterprise Miner is installed rather than your locally mapped drive letter.

I hope this helps!

Doug

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation