BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AndrewVOA
Calcite | Level 5

I have a training dataset of about 30,000 observations (and a validation dataset of the exact same size) with 16 input nominal variables and 1 binary target variable. I fitted 2 models:

model1: Logistic Regression Model (using mostly the default options, see figure 1)

model2: Neural Network with one hidden node (see figure 2 for network settings, figure 3 for network structure)

regression setting.pngFig 1

XOR2.pngFig 2

in_NN structure.pngFig 3

I then used the "model comparison" node to compare the above models. Comparing their fit statistics, i can see that most of the values are extremely similar except one, namely "Train: Akaike's Information Criterion". Model1 and Model2 have an AIC value of 23660 and 47215 respectively. Now, I read that when comparing models that uses the same likelihood estimator, the model with the lower AIC is better. Are model1 and model2 using the same likelihood estimator? Is it correct for me to say model1 is the superior model base on the large discrepencyin AIC? Please advise, thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Ksharp
Super User

Sure. AIC is a general model fit statistical estimator, you use it anywhere.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation