BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AmitKB
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi,
I want to calculate Mutual Information of two variables. Is there a sas procedure which does it. I have Base SAS 9.2 and SAS/STAT.

Regards,

Amit
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

Your ability to calculate 'Mutual Information' depends on whether you are using the term in the broad sense (e.g. the correlation between variables might be a way to assess information which two variables share) or if you are talking about the more specific way the term has been used.  Specifically, Mutual Information is a term used to measure how similar the joint distribution p(X,Y) is to the products of a factored marginal distribution p(X)p(Y) for a pair of variables. If you are referring to this specific definition, I know of no Base SAS or SAS/STAT procedures which provide this calculation.  

Note: You can specify Mutual Information as a weighting method inside of SAS Text Miner but this would not provide the information described above.

Cordially,

Doug 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

Your ability to calculate 'Mutual Information' depends on whether you are using the term in the broad sense (e.g. the correlation between variables might be a way to assess information which two variables share) or if you are talking about the more specific way the term has been used.  Specifically, Mutual Information is a term used to measure how similar the joint distribution p(X,Y) is to the products of a factored marginal distribution p(X)p(Y) for a pair of variables. If you are referring to this specific definition, I know of no Base SAS or SAS/STAT procedures which provide this calculation.  

Note: You can specify Mutual Information as a weighting method inside of SAS Text Miner but this would not provide the information described above.

Cordially,

Doug 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation