BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
VanDalucas
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am using the Variable clustering node in order to choose some variables as input to clustering node. Should I also choose an unsigned variable i.e. a variable from CLUS 0 or should I totally ignore these variables and only choose one variable form CLUS1,CLUS2,... ?

Thanks a lot!

4 REPLIES 4
rayIII
SAS Employee

I would tend to ignore them unless you have a really strong reason to include them. They could be constants for example. 

It sounds like you are using interactive selection, but if you switch to Best Variables you can see that EM rejects the CLUS0 variables. 

Hope this helps.

Ray

VanDalucas
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you very much Rey,

By the way, how many Variables do you usually input in cluster node? 2 to 7 is ok right?

rayIII
SAS Employee

Sure, no problem. While sometimes many more variables are used as inputs there is nothing wrong with clustering a small number. The iris data are often used as an example and it only has 4 inputs. 

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_cluster_sec...

Ray

VanDalucas
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks again Ray!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation