BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bryanssilveira
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Is it possible to automatically vary the number of hiddens units and layers to optimize neural network training?

In my tests, I have to do this manually, so I want to do this in the better way. 

Thanks

Regards,

Bryan Silveira

1 REPLY 1
BrettWujek
SAS Employee

Hey Bryan - simultaneously training a model and tuning the hyperparameters (in this case the architecture of the network) is not really a good approach...the optimizer's attempt to adjust the model parameters (in this case the weights) based on gradients of the loss function wrt those weights would be thwarted by completely changing the mathematical operations that led to that loss function. If the hyperparameter adjustment is not built-in to the training process, it will not work.

That being said, I think what you are really getting at is the ability to train a model for a given architecture, make adjustments to the architecture, train again, make adjustments, train, and so on...all automatically and intelligently. Hyperparameter tuning is a big area of research and we have an implementation built-in to our modeling procs in SAS Viya (e.g., PROC NNET). But for 9.4 (EM) you would have to do this in SAS code and write a macro to loop over values of the number of layers and neurons (in our Viya implementation, Autotune (see video here), we use optimization strategies to search the space much more effectively).

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation