Building models with SAS Enterprise Miner, SAS Factory Miner, SAS Visual Data Mining and Machine Learning or just with programming

About Feature selection and Dimensionality reduction

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

About Feature selection and Dimensionality reduction

Dear Consultants,

I have dataset (599*14747) as follows: 599 observation  for 6 classes and 14746 independent varaiables (predictors). the predictors are interval and the target(response) variable is nominal(categorical). I tried to find correlation to reduce the irrelevant variables using Pearson correlation but I think it finds only linear relationship only, also Pearson are changed with outliers. I need to know the optimal way to find the variables importance using statistical and data mining methods to improve the classification. notes: I have SAS Enterprise Miner 13.2

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-07-2015 07:47 AM
Super Contributor

Re: About Feature selection and Dimensionality reduction

Hi Hussein,

I remember we were discussing techniques for variable selection and dimension reduction in an earlier thread ().

Do some of those techniques give you a better model than others?

Different techniques have different pros and cons. Many times you have to try a lot of them to see which one is most helpful to your data and business problem.

The course Advanced Predictive Modeling Using SAS Enterprise Miner is a good hands-on refresher of all the tools you have in your toolkit. I am considering taking that class again :smileysilly:

Post some of your findings if you have a chance.

Thanks!

-Miguel

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎07-07-2015 07:47 AM
Super Contributor

Re: About Feature selection and Dimensionality reduction

Hi Hussein,

I remember we were discussing techniques for variable selection and dimension reduction in an earlier thread ().

Do some of those techniques give you a better model than others?

Different techniques have different pros and cons. Many times you have to try a lot of them to see which one is most helpful to your data and business problem.

The course Advanced Predictive Modeling Using SAS Enterprise Miner is a good hands-on refresher of all the tools you have in your toolkit. I am considering taking that class again :smileysilly:

Post some of your findings if you have a chance.

Thanks!

-Miguel

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation