BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi all

Wondering, we were using SAS to generate an excel file, and part of the code was this

ods html file="\\mynetworkname\myworkingdir\testthisfile.xls";

Got this error
ERROR: Physical file does not exist, C:\Users\gxs03\AppData\Local\Temp\SAS Temporary Files\_TD5580_CCHPHIG070002_\\\mynetworkname\myworkingdir\testthisfile.xls.
ERROR: No body file. HTML output will not be created.

But if we ran exactly the same program with two dots in the excel file name "\myworkingdir\testthisfile..xls" and no other change, then it worked. Any ideas why?

Thanks

Gene

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

With HTML it works best to explicitly set the Path and the file separately. The first error is because without a path setting SAS used the default which was your work library.

ods html path="<path specification>" file="testthisfile.xls" ; should avoid the issue completely as that says to put the File in the directory specified by the path. I can't put your text in there as this form software tries to turn it into a link and loses syntax elements.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

With HTML it works best to explicitly set the Path and the file separately. The first error is because without a path setting SAS used the default which was your work library.

ods html path="<path specification>" file="testthisfile.xls" ; should avoid the issue completely as that says to put the File in the directory specified by the path. I can't put your text in there as this form software tries to turn it into a link and loses syntax elements.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Sorry, but this:

ods html file="\\mynetworkname\myworkingdir\testthisfile.xls";

is plain stupid.

If you create HTML content, use a .html extension to avoid confusion. Simply naming it .xls does not create an Excel file! Some Excel versions even complain when the content does not correspond to the filename extension.

ODS HTML is very powerful, but also needs additional data like base URL for links, path(s) to store multiple elements, and so on. Use ODS HTML when creating data for webservers.

If you need to export formatted data to Excel, I recommend using ODS TAGSETS.EXCELXP and a .xml extension on the filename.

If you "only" want to transfer data, SAS 9.4 provides much better options to create/write .xlsx files: SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 Interface to PC Files: Reference, Third Edition

geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

Ballardw's response worked fine. I also found that two dots or one dot both worked, so kept with one dot and ballardw's solution.

Despite saying I'm stupid, Kurt also appears to be correct. The program writes output as html, not an excel file. I'd also be interested in learning how to get output to actually go to excel, rather than html.

Thanks to both.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation