BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
antjonz
Calcite | Level 5

I'm new to SAS so I'm trying to figure things out. I run a report that calculates the percentage of people that are compliant with their training. I run it weekly, so the percentages change each week. At the end of the month I run it the final time, then send it out. the problem is, it might say 98.7% for the end of January, but in March January's percentages might change based on people moving from one department to the other. I'm trying to lock the results at the end of the month so it doesn't recalculate the percentages once the month closes out. People move all year long, so January's data will be inaccurate in September because of people moving. Is there a statement or code I could use, or is it much more complicated than I think? 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

It depends a bit on your set up and the tools you have available, assuming only BASE SAS here' smy recommendation.

It's a data managerment issue. 

When a report is finalized for a particular month you add it to a permanent data set. 

In your 'new' reports use the stored data and the new results are appended so the report still has the old data. 

You do need to be careful that if you need an update or something goes wrong that the permanent dataset doesn't have duplicates. 

This also means you're processing only information for shorter periods of time which may make things faster if that helps.

antjonz
Calcite | Level 5

That actually sounds simple, but I'm not quite sure how to append the new results to the old data. Is that a manual process, or do I need to set up the query to run and append?

Reeza
Super User

You can set up the query to append at the end of the run, or you can set up a separate process you trigger when you're sure it's done and correct. 

If you're using EG there's an APPEND task.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Let's start with some basics. Which SAS tool (Enterprise Guide, Display Manager...) are you using, and which task or what code are you using to create your report currently?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Another way is to use a SCD Type 2 dimension for your employees. That mean that the reference table will keep track on when an employee worked where.
This will make reporting more flexible, but perhaps a bit trickier to use for reporting.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation