BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
backstreets
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there,

I am very new to linux. And now I am using wps to convert wpd data to sas data. I got a very wide wpd dataset.

Here is the code I tried to execute:

libname out sas7bdat '/u01/mylocation';

libname in '/u01/hislocation';

data out.A;

set in.A;

run;

Here is the command I used to execute this sas code in putty:

sas convert_wpd_tosas.sas&

But the thing is, I got this error:     Floating point exception(core dumped) sas  convert_wpd_tosas.sas

I can fix this by shorting the length of the variable in the dataset. But I wonder if there is any ways to execute the command without changing the dataset.

Just an update, my log is empty. I have seen people make it work. But not really sure what command they used.

Any suggestion is appreciated!!!

12 REPLIES 12
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

New to SAS as well? The first libname statement is not valid.

If you got the same error after fixing the syntax, seeing the whole log would help.

Data never sleeps
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You should have just gotten a new file named convert_wpd_tosas.log that would show your program and the notes and error messages from SAS.

If you got a core dump with that simple (but buggy) program then perhaps SAS is not installed right on your machine?

backstreets
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, my log is empty. My libname is correct. I am just not typing the location. But please assume the libname is correct.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

It's not correct, sas7bdat is not a ´valid libname engine.

Data never sleeps
backstreets
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you. It is actually. I use this command and code on any short length variable dataset. And they all work. Sorry I am new to linux but not really new to sas

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Back streets the first Libname is having sas7bdat after out.

That is the location for the engine. V9 v8 but not sas7bdat.

The location folder name being correct should be no issue.

Sample data is nice real data not necessary.

Just follow your data policy guidelines with the cia rating

---->-- ja karman --<-----
backstreets
Calcite | Level 5

I guess I am not understanding sir. Are you saying I should not put SAS7BDAT? I have done this for many other dataset and they all work

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

sas7bdat is a valid extension for SAS datasets.  Since it is 8 characters long and starts with a letter is could even be used a a LIBREF, but it is not a valid ENGINE to include in a LIBNAME statement.

890  libname a '.';

NOTE: Libref A was successfully assigned as follows:

Engine:        V9

Physical Name: C:\Users\xxxx

891  libname b sas7bdat '.';

ERROR: The SAS7BDAT engine cannot be found.

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

backstreets
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry Tom. I use this all the time in wps system. Maybe the environment you have is different than mine

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Sounds like you are using WPS instead of SAS. That value for an libname engine might be valid in WPS.  If you are trying to convert from some WPS specific format for data to a valid SAS format for data then I think you will need to use WPS and not SAS.  SAS will not know how to read file formats that WPS has created.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Tom ok it shows the error that is done.
SAS(R) 9.3 Statements: Reference (libname statement documentation) and SAS(R) 9.3 Companion for UNIX Environments (valid engines Unix). and the same in SAS(R) 9.4 Companion for UNIX Environments, Fourth Edition.

What other me as knowing  there are some enhancements made in 9.4 (2gb records 32bit counteren enhanced to 64bit), there must be a difference somewhere that could be important with migrations. 

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Yep other supplier http://www.teamwpc.co.uk/docs/WPS-Reference-for-Language-Elements.pdf  World Programming  and a different syntax,

They reverse engineered the SAS library. If there is in error in that you should contact WPS TS support. World Programming (contact)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation