BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
echo991
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I got a question about below problem:

I have some records for every person's job per month. If he/she complete, that month will be 1, otherwise 0. The form like below:

Name

Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr

May

June

July

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

Amy

David

John

The question is: How to find person that doesn't complete job more than 3 continuous months (contains 3) in one record? For example, Amy has 0 from Feb to May, and John has 0 from Apr to June, Amy and John should be extract.

Anyone has some ideas?

Many thanks,

Chen 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

By extract do you mean that the result of this operation is a data set with those rows of data? If so this may get you started:

/* example data to work with*/
data have;
   input Name $	Jan	Feb	Mar	Apr	May	June	July	Aug	Sep	Oct	Nov	Dec ;
datalines;
Amy	1	0	0	0	0	1	0	0	1	0	0	1
David	1	1	1	1	1	0	0	1	0	1	0	0
John	0	0	1	0	0	0	1	1	1	1	1	1
;
run;

data want;
   set have;
   array m Jan  Feb Mar Apr May June July Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec;
   do i= 1 to (dim(m) -2);
      if sum(m[i],m[i+1],m[i+2])=0 then leave;
      else if i=10 then delete;
   end;
   drop i;
run;

BUT you will need a completely different approach if you ever want to look across the year boundary such as Dec 2014, Jan 2015, Feb 2015.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User
Concatenate all the months into one string variable and search for the string 111. If you find at least that, then you know they've done 3 consecutive months.

Look at CATS/CATT functions for the concatenation and index or find for searching for the string 111

echo991
Fluorite | Level 6

It works!! Thanks so much Reeza. 

ballardw
Super User

By extract do you mean that the result of this operation is a data set with those rows of data? If so this may get you started:

/* example data to work with*/
data have;
   input Name $	Jan	Feb	Mar	Apr	May	June	July	Aug	Sep	Oct	Nov	Dec ;
datalines;
Amy	1	0	0	0	0	1	0	0	1	0	0	1
David	1	1	1	1	1	0	0	1	0	1	0	0
John	0	0	1	0	0	0	1	1	1	1	1	1
;
run;

data want;
   set have;
   array m Jan  Feb Mar Apr May June July Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec;
   do i= 1 to (dim(m) -2);
      if sum(m[i],m[i+1],m[i+2])=0 then leave;
      else if i=10 then delete;
   end;
   drop i;
run;

BUT you will need a completely different approach if you ever want to look across the year boundary such as Dec 2014, Jan 2015, Feb 2015.

echo991
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, it works!!! Thanks so much!

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

I support @Reeza's suggestion (with the obvious modification to search for '000'), although @ballardw's is fine, too. The selection (based on a HAVE dataset like that created by ballardw) could be as short as this:

data want;
set have;
if find(cats(of Jan--Dec),'000');
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation