BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
eagles_dare13
Obsidian | Level 7

What does this feature do? 'Propagate Columns from Source to Target'? Does it copy all the columns of the source table to the target tabl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

I'll take a stab.  But I don't actually use DI studio transformations much (usually do more with user-written code).

As I understand it, if you have a traditional DIS job, you often have a number of transformations connected in a process flow.  So maybe first transformation pulls some data from a database, second transformation joins that data to some other data, third transformation transposes it and outputs the final dataset produced by the job.

So suppose you have that job, and it's running fine.

Then one day somebody wants a new variable in the output dataset.

You go to the first transormations (data pull), and add the extra column to that.  Then the question is do you want that new column to be carried forward throughout your flow.  If yes, you could propagate it forward throughout the flow.  If you don't propagate it forward, the new variable could be pulled during the the first transformation, but excluded by the second transformation.

Similarly, I think you may be able to change attributes of a variable (format/label/etc) and choose whether or not to propagate those changes.

Hope that sounds reasonable.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DaveR_SAS
SAS Employee

This topic in the DI Studio user guide covers some of the basics: SAS(R) Data Integration Studio 4.8: User's Guide

eagles_dare13
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the link but if you don't mind, can I ask:

"You have added columns and you need to determine the scope of these additions"

What is meant by this? I have a source table and I have a target table. So where am I adding columns? And what is meant by 'scope' here?

I understand the concept of mapping the columns between source and target but not able to understand the 'propagate ' feature.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

It means, what do you want to do with the columns that you added (can be applied to columns added to any table in any job).

Data never sleeps
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

I'll take a stab.  But I don't actually use DI studio transformations much (usually do more with user-written code).

As I understand it, if you have a traditional DIS job, you often have a number of transformations connected in a process flow.  So maybe first transformation pulls some data from a database, second transformation joins that data to some other data, third transformation transposes it and outputs the final dataset produced by the job.

So suppose you have that job, and it's running fine.

Then one day somebody wants a new variable in the output dataset.

You go to the first transormations (data pull), and add the extra column to that.  Then the question is do you want that new column to be carried forward throughout your flow.  If yes, you could propagate it forward throughout the flow.  If you don't propagate it forward, the new variable could be pulled during the the first transformation, but excluded by the second transformation.

Similarly, I think you may be able to change attributes of a variable (format/label/etc) and choose whether or not to propagate those changes.

Hope that sounds reasonable.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
eagles_dare13
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks @Quentin. Your answer cleared my doubts.

eagles_dare13
Obsidian | Level 7

Can you also explain what it means to Propagate Job?

DaveR_SAS
SAS Employee

To me, this topic. . .

SAS(R) Data Integration Studio 4.8: User's Guide

. . . suggests that Propagate Job is another way of propagating columns in the current job. It sounds similar to Propagate Columns as described in this table. Perhaps Propagate Columns would also handle the case where a job had more than one flow, for example.

DaveR_SAS
SAS Employee

Darn it. This discussion app does not seem to link to subheadings within a topic. Please see the table under "Manual Propagation" in the topic I linked to.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation