BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tushar
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

i have one query regarding SAS Data integration studio. While registering DBMS table what option should a user choose like suppose i want to registered oracle table and also i have oracle connectivity through SAS/ACCESS but my question is what is the preferable Choice for this senario like should i use SAS/ACCESS or ODBC Connectivity? what is the difference between this?

Please help on this..

Thanks and Regards,

Tushar

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Do you ask if it'spreferabale to access to Oracle via ODBC or SQL*NET?

There are pros and cons.

If you don't predict any performance issues, you might want to go with ODBC, since this SAS/ACCES license can be used for multiple sources (other than Oracle).

Using the native Oracle access with probably give you some additional functionality and better performance.

Data never sleeps
Tushar
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Linus,

First of all thanks for your reply and sorry for my late comment. Actually this was the question i have asked by my senior, as per the work i have done on SAS DI studio for registering NON-SAS DBMS i have used ODBC connectivity and not SAS/ACCESS, but he was asking like why your connecting through ODBC when you have SAS/ACCESS install for the same database. I mean there is no option in SAS DI to choose SAS/ACCESS, when we want to registered table wizards, and one more thing i want to ask like can we use SQL pass through facilty from SAS DI? if yes how?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you have SAS/ACCESS to Oracle installed, licensed and configured, then there is nothing that will prevent you to use it in DI Studio. The setup in DI Studio/Management Console is pretty much the same as configuring SAS/ACCESS to ODBC data sources, just a few parameters that might differ.

If the data base server, database and schema are defined, you should be able to access it using the standard wizards.

Generally, when using SQL transformations, SAS are in many cases transforming the code to an implicit pass-thru. For at least the SQL Join transformation, you have the possibility to specify explicit pass-thru code generation. Depending on your DI Studio version, there might even more SQL transformations available for you, that can do the same.

I'm more of a implicit pass-thru kind of guy, and use explicit pass-thru only when it's really needed.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation