BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Filipvdr
Pyrite | Level 9

What is the purpose of check in and check out? It's not possible to rollback in history to a certain point where you checked in?

Is using SVN free? Pricefull? Is it difficult to install?

Thanks for the advice, tips, links, ...

6 REPLIES 6
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

The main purpose is locking, so different developers doesn't edit the same object simultaneously.

There is no built in version control, the only support is that the developer can leave  a note each time time an object is checked in.

SVN is an add-on, and I have no idea about what you consider pricefull. Contact your SAS representative for an offer.

I don't think it's the easiest thing to install, but absolutely doable from what I hear from colleagues.

Data never sleeps
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

SVN is under the apache license, making it open source and free of license fees.

Depending on your operating system, getting it might be very easy (Linux distros should have it in their repositories) or quite hard, as you might have to compile it from source code.

https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html lists places where you can get binary packages.

Can't tell you about its use, as I've never worked with it.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Even though SVN itself is free, I'm pretty sure that the SVN plugin requires an additional SAS licence.

About the complexity, there are an example set in the doc, should give you some hints.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etlug/68225/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1tsueilsjwdgin1oove...

Data never sleeps
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The SVN enablement in DI Studio does not require an additional license or parting with money. It's all free as in beer.

As you can read form the link that @LinusH provided It does require some kind of SVN client installed on the user's workstation. We use Tortoise. We use the Apache webserver with mod_dav and mod_dav_svn (yes, you guessed it, free) for the repository. So it takes effort more than anything else. And, depending on your organization, the cooperation and good will of IT which may or may not be free.

Hope this helps,

- Jan.

hamish_at_nab
Fluorite | Level 6

Here is a run through of what we've done during development. Free and without ongoing root access (we're on linux servers)

Part 1: SVN server installation

• Have svn installed by root. We're on RHEL so its readily available via yum.
  • Decide who will run the svn "service". We're using a service account.
  • Create svn repository:
    • mkdir ~/svn
    • svnadmin create ~/svn/distudiodev
  • Configure repository by editing the svnserve.conf in ~/svn/distudiodev/conf/
    • turn off anon-access (forces people to use credentials)
    • turn on password-db = passwd
  • Configure users by editing ~/svn/distudiodev/conf/passwd
  • Run it: svnserve --daemon --root ~/svn/

Notes: This can be done on any "server" that the clients are able to connect to. Svnserve runs by default on port 3690 which doesn't require root on linux.Could also be done on windows however that exercise is left to the reader.

Part 2: Client setup

• Install svn client. We are using some win32 binaries with only the .exe no gui. eg https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32svn/
  • Remove/rename the DI Studio cvs plugin so that svn takes priority
  • configure DI Studio for svn
  • In the example above repository is /distudiodev on port 3690 with type SVN

hamishcarpenter
Fluorite | Level 6

I've just followed these steps on windows for a different project and it works well. If you are having trouble testing the connection then look at the logs in:

• %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\SAS\SASDataIntegrationStudio\4.902

Also see https://communities.sas.com/t5/Nordic-Events-and-Presentations/SAS-User-Forum-2017-Using-Subversion-... for a paper with screenshots of this in use.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 6 in conversation