BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bmutell
Calcite | Level 5

I'm working on a dataset where each row is a criminal offense. In some cases multiple offenses comprise one incident, so I am interested in looking at which offenses commonly occur together. There are 1.37M rows and 82 unique offenses. I want to create a column for each offense where the value will be the number of times that offense occured in each incident (even just an indicator of 1/0 would be satisfactory). Attached is a mock-up of what I would like to accomplish. I've been working on this project in Base and Enterprise Guide and I have access to any other SAS software that could help. I've considered multiple ways, such as running a macro in PROC SQL or somehow calling the column name (i.e. offense name) and comparing it the value of the offense. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Desired_table_ex_screenshot.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Do you need this as a dataset? Either Proc Report or Proc Tabulate would generate a report in that format rather easily.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Do you need this as a dataset? Either Proc Report or Proc Tabulate would generate a report in that format rather easily.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

This may be getting close to what you want:

data have;

set have;

DummyVar = 1;

run;

proc means data=have nway noprint;

class ID_Num Incident_ID Incident_Seq Offence;

var DummyVar;

ID Date;

output out=Tabulated(drop = _TYPE_ _FREQ_) n()=VarCount;

run;

proc transpose data=Tabulated out=Transposed Prefix=Offence;

by ID_Num Incident_ID Incident_Seq;

ID Offence;

var VarCount;

copy Date;

run;

data Transposed;

set Transposed;

by ID_Num Incident_ID Incident_Seq;

if first.Incident_Seq;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation