SAS Data Integration Studio, DataFlux Data Management Studio, SAS/ACCESS, SAS Data Loader for Hadoop and others

The use of special characters in SAS code and DI Studio

Accepted Solution Solved
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

The use of special characters in SAS code and DI Studio

It's a bit unclear to me where in SAS code I can use special character without problems, and where I need to avoid it. By special characters I mean for example certain letters from the Norwegian alphabet, such as Æ, Ø, and Å. I assume it's a good rule of thumb to avoid using them in variable names, and to instead use them in labels? How about using special characters in transformation names and table names while working in DI Studio?

Thanks for your time.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎10-05-2012 04:11 AM
Super User

Re: The use of special characters in SAS code and DI Studio

Posted in reply to EinarRoed

You can use special characters in table and column names, and DIS should enclose those names with n literal.

Maybe I'm a bit conservative, or afraid of the future, but I try to avoid this anyway.

Transformation names, they are just labels in the metadata and you should be able to use any character you want. The same goes for the table metadata name, if you wish to differ these from the physical name.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎10-05-2012 04:11 AM
Super User

Re: The use of special characters in SAS code and DI Studio

Posted in reply to EinarRoed

You can use special characters in table and column names, and DIS should enclose those names with n literal.

Maybe I'm a bit conservative, or afraid of the future, but I try to avoid this anyway.

Transformation names, they are just labels in the metadata and you should be able to use any character you want. The same goes for the table metadata name, if you wish to differ these from the physical name.

Data never sleeps
🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation