BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Z_X_
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I need to find out if I should upgrade with Solid State Hard Drive, or get a new higher level PC. 

Right now I have a Dell Precision Station T5500 for 5 years and it has slowed down recently since I have more and larger data set to work with. I wonder if I replace the existing rotational hard drive with Solid State Hard drive, how much the performance can improve? I usually work with SAS data sets with 1.5 million records, they are compressed and indexed, 1GB for one month of data.

My Dell T5500 has a CPU of "E5606 4Core 2.13GH" CPU, memory is "32G 1333MHz" and hard drive is "1TRB, S2, 7.2K, 32M SGT-MOOSE". If I replace the hard drive with a Solid State Drive, how faster it can be? 

If I get a Dell Precision Tower 7000, with rotational hard drive, is it faster than a lower model but with Solid State Hard Drive? The standard configuration of Dell Precision Tower 7000 is till rotational hard drive "2TB 3.5" Serial-ATA (7,200 RPM)", the CPU is "E5-2630 v4, 10C, 2.2GHz, 3.1GHz Turbo, 2133MHz, 25MB, 85W" and memory is "32GB (4x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC".

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

While it's difficult to make "general" recommendations without knowing the details of your requirements, a general statement can be made that most of SAS processing is I/O intensive, due to the nature of the product.

Therefore, if I had to make a shot in the dark, I would recommend improving your I/O environment over anything else. Therefore, the SSD looks like a winner to me. (if possible, get two, one for your permanent data and one for your work storage).

Here's a link to the SAS collection of Scalability and Performance documents; I'm sure there will be some very good recommendations there.

http://support.sas.com/rnd/scalability/papers/

Tom

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

While it's difficult to make "general" recommendations without knowing the details of your requirements, a general statement can be made that most of SAS processing is I/O intensive, due to the nature of the product.

Therefore, if I had to make a shot in the dark, I would recommend improving your I/O environment over anything else. Therefore, the SSD looks like a winner to me. (if possible, get two, one for your permanent data and one for your work storage).

Here's a link to the SAS collection of Scalability and Performance documents; I'm sure there will be some very good recommendations there.

http://support.sas.com/rnd/scalability/papers/

Tom

Z_X_
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, I will go with SSD. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation