BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Minhtrang
Obsidian | Level 7
I want to create new variables (newna1-newna5) from na1 -na5, if there is missing value of na then 
newna will be equal to the previous nonmissing value of na.
But I have problems running the program below, error with array length.
Please help me to figure it out.
Thank you very much

data try; input id na1 na2 na3 na4 na5; datalines; 1 2 3 . . 4 2 3 5 4 1 . 3 6 . 7 5 4 4 5 3 . 4 . 5 4 . . . 6 ; run; data try1; set try; array na(*) na1-na5; array newna(*) newna1-newna5; do i=1 to 5; newna(i)=na(i); do j=1 to 4; if na(i)=. then newna(i)=na(i-j); end; end; run; output;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

You could simplify the process and get the correct result most of the time:

data try1;
	set try;
	array na(*) na1-na5;
	array newna(*) newna1-newna5;

do i=1 to 5;
	   if na(i) > . then newna(i)=na(i);
	   else newna(i)=newna(i-1);
	end;
run;

When I say "most of the time" I'm looking at the possibility that na1 might be missing.  What should happen in that case?  The program will generate an error as it stands now.  So if it's possible that na1 might be missing, you would need to specify what the result should be so the program can be modified.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

You could simplify the process and get the correct result most of the time:

data try1;
	set try;
	array na(*) na1-na5;
	array newna(*) newna1-newna5;

do i=1 to 5;
	   if na(i) > . then newna(i)=na(i);
	   else newna(i)=newna(i-1);
	end;
run;

When I say "most of the time" I'm looking at the possibility that na1 might be missing.  What should happen in that case?  The program will generate an error as it stands now.  So if it's possible that na1 might be missing, you would need to specify what the result should be so the program can be modified.

Minhtrang
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Astouding,

Thanks a lot for your help.

It's so simple!

Best,

Trang

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation