BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dashj
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I've done some searching and found this link re: importing data from google sheets. 

“There’s an App for That”: It’s Called SAS® ODS! Mobile Data Entry and Reporting via SAS ODS

I have some concerns regarding the steps taken on the google side of things with regards to "publish to the web". I cannot find much information with what exactly this means. Some posts say that this will not make the page crawlable but others do.

Can anyone confirm that "publishing" will not make a sheet crawlable/indexable?

Is there another way to approach this?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

If Google Drive is set up on your computer and you're not running SAS on a server, it looks like just a drive to your computer and you can work with it as a network drive including accessing Excel files. If you are running SAS on a server, it needs a connection to the Drive as well, but once that's set up it's the same as working locally. I do this via Box to keep all my files synced across my multiple machines.

However, it does have some annoying features and one I've seen and run into is the syncing. If the files don't sync correctly sometimes it ends up duplicating files and to be helpful it renames them with a number at the end...and then your file isn't named the way you thought and your programs don't work.  I've seen this both on One Drive and Box. 

Another option, with the github link to code at the end:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/001-2013.pdf

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

Not sure I'm interpreting your question correctly, but I think you're asking if you set a sheet to public/anyone with a link, will that spreadsheet now show up in search results?

Google scans and indexes everything on their side. They pull down articles in peoples private Google Docs storage. So, yes it's scanned and indexed.

Will the results be included in Google Search results publicly? Not if its not a public document. If it's a public document then it may be, but that's a question better asked in a Google Forum, not SAS forum. 

From what I can see, the publish to the web, share link option, does not make it return in a Google Search. If you do a full public publish it will return in a search result. 

Here's the link to the Google Forum if you'd like to post your question there:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/docs

@dashj wrote:

Hello,

I've done some searching and found this link re: importing data from google sheets. 

“There’s an App for That”: It’s Called SAS® ODS! Mobile Data Entry and Reporting via SAS ODS

I have some concerns regarding the steps taken on the google side of things with regards to "publish to the web". I cannot find much information with what exactly this means. Some posts say that this will not make the page crawlable but others do.

Can anyone confirm that "publishing" will not make a sheet crawlable/indexable?

Is there another way to approach this?

Thank you!

dashj
Calcite | Level 5
I assumed I'd get this type of answer regarding the google side. Too bad there is not a "better" way.
Reeza
Super User

@dashj wrote:
I assumed I'd get this type of answer regarding the google side. Too bad there is not a "better" way.

That wasn't the question you asked....

That paper you're referencing is also from 2012. What are you actually trying to achieve here?

dashj
Calcite | Level 5

@Reeza wrote:

@dashj wrote:

That wasn't the question you asked....

That paper you're referencing is also from 2012. What are you actually trying to achieve here?

I'm looking for a way to import/export excel data from google sheets.

Reeza
Super User

@dashj wrote:

I'm looking for a way to import/export excel data from google sheets.

Do you have Excel files in Google Drive or do you have Google Sheet files? 

Or is there some feature I'm not aware of that allows Excel files within Google Sheets?

dashj
Calcite | Level 5

Google sheets would be ideal but if necessary, I could do excel files stored in google drive.

We are migrating to Google suite and losing our network drives so I'm looking to find a solution so that I don't lose the programs I've automated.

Reeza
Super User

If Google Drive is set up on your computer and you're not running SAS on a server, it looks like just a drive to your computer and you can work with it as a network drive including accessing Excel files. If you are running SAS on a server, it needs a connection to the Drive as well, but once that's set up it's the same as working locally. I do this via Box to keep all my files synced across my multiple machines.

However, it does have some annoying features and one I've seen and run into is the syncing. If the files don't sync correctly sometimes it ends up duplicating files and to be helpful it renames them with a number at the end...and then your file isn't named the way you thought and your programs don't work.  I've seen this both on One Drive and Box. 

Another option, with the github link to code at the end:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/001-2013.pdf

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation