BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mcollins1264
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am new to using SAS OLAP. I have been using SSAS for several years. I just have a few comparison questions that I am curious about:

Is it possible to have multi-fact cubes, or to link cubes together? I.E., can I make calculations that refering to measures of different granularity, like comparing customer counts to demographic houshold counts and so forth.

Also, is it posslbe to somehow do many-to-many relationships, I.E. looking at counts of auto insurance policies with certain driver charateristics. This would be like counting if x attribute exists on a lower grained dimension, count it, otherwise do not ect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

1) I'm not sure how you want this to work Perhaps an example will clear this question.

There are not possible to link cubes together with different setup of metadata. Dimensions can be shared between cubes though. And there are some possibilities to have data stored on different levels using ROLAP structure.

2) Not sure about this one either, example? Something that might are similar is the NUNIQUE statistic. Or this could perhaps be solved by creating some MDX-expressions.

/Linus 

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

1) I'm not sure how you want this to work Perhaps an example will clear this question.

There are not possible to link cubes together with different setup of metadata. Dimensions can be shared between cubes though. And there are some possibilities to have data stored on different levels using ROLAP structure.

2) Not sure about this one either, example? Something that might are similar is the NUNIQUE statistic. Or this could perhaps be solved by creating some MDX-expressions.

/Linus 

Data never sleeps
mcollins1264
Calcite | Level 5

Linus,

To your second point, I did some more investigating, and I think I NUNIQUE will work for the time being. M2M is neccessary in certain situations where you need other measures to be view this way (other than counts), but I can roll with this for now. I'm starting to understand that SSAS is very unique in this regard, as well as with the multi fact setup. For what I need, I can just run proc sql statements to pull from different cubes and then join them together, although that is not as easy on the end user. Thanks for your help--

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation