BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cnilsen
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All.

I'm recently charged with creating a job in DI Studio (v4.901) that will use a REST transformation, an API, and return a Json file with data.

I've never done anything like this before, and the web and SAS seem limited with information about how to something similar.  

I sorta understand the concept, requests and replies with the API... codes based on success or failure.

Then using a token to actually GET my data..

Does anyone know of any resources, examples (examples would be awsome) or ways to find out more?

I'm still on the green side with my programming skills.. 

Thanks!

- Chris N.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

When you're ready for it: Using SAS to access Google Analytics APIs

It's definitely a good idea to start with something simple though, if you can. Build your confidence! 🙂

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

This is not specific to DI Studio, but you can use PROC HTTP and the JSON libname engine (SAS 9.4m4) to fetch and process REST API data.

Here's a blog post to get you started.  I do this work with a number of REST APIs: Google Analytics, GitHub, Brightcove, Lithium.  If any of those are something you're working with, I can provide more concrete examples.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
cnilsen
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the quick response. I was surprised at the lack of SAS related material and REST API's.

My initial project will be with a vendor to retrieve data quarter-hourly and parse it out into SAS datasets. This project is to 'get my feet wet' with this type of work (I've only been working with SAS tools for a few months now). My follow up project will in fact be with Google Analytics, so any examples of work would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.  

- Chris N.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

When you're ready for it: Using SAS to access Google Analytics APIs

It's definitely a good idea to start with something simple though, if you can. Build your confidence! 🙂

cnilsen
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you again..
It's always good to pushed into learning something new.

- Chris N.
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

I know this has been marked solved already, but here is a link to a SAS Global Forum Paper that mentions the DI Studio Transformation you were asking about. just in case somebody was looking for a Use Case of this particular Transformation.

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings16/7320-2016.pdf

"Querying REST web services via a Data Integration Studio REST Transform or Proc HTTP"

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

cnilsen
Quartz | Level 8

Ahmed,

I always appreciate extra resources for any solution I am looking for. There is not always just a single way to do something, or code something. Quite honestly.. the more I am reading of this new sublect, the more additional questions I have.. I'm sure I will have additional posts regarding this.

Thank you.

- Chris N.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation