BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gaurav_248
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I received a SAS dataset created using SAS Enterprise Guide from the client. I need to access it on my company's SAS server using SAS 9.2. However I am getting an error while accessing the same:

ERROR: File Filename.DATA not compatible with this SAS version.

Has anyone faced the same issue? How do I resolve it?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Most likely the SAS dataset was either created under a different operating system to yours or a different "bitness" (32 bit versus 64 bit).

One method to transport datasets affected this way is use the CPORT procedure to create a transport dataset on the originating SAS system, then use the CIMPORT procedure to read it in on the target SAS system. Check the documentation on these procedures. 

gaurav_248
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your suggestion. However, that would require me to go back to the client and request him to run the code again and resend it. Is there no other way to deal with it on our SAS 9.2 server itself?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If the dataset came from a different operating system / bitness then it can only be fixed by exporting from that OS. If your dataset source is the same operating system then the issue raised by @Kurt_Bremser could be another cause.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This: http://support.sas.com/kb/49/496.html might describe the reason for your problem.

In this note, SAS Support only offers the same two remedies: recreate the data set or use PROC CPORT/CIMPORT.

I personally don't think it was a wise decision by SAS to have that option turned on by default, when it renders datasets incompatible with previous versions.

My to-do list for the migration to 9.4 now has a new item: disable EXTENDEDOBSCOUNTER.

maggiem_sas
SAS Employee

I think this is the most likely issue. Can you find out if your client is running a later release than you are?

In each release, SAS has added a few new features to data sets that, if used, make the data set incompatible with earlier releases. Here is a list of these features: http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/files/forward.html 

Links on this page go to a more detailed page with available workarounds.

Ksharp
Super User

You could try PROC MIGRATE ,but don't expect it too high.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation