BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tsndrct1234
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everyone,

Is it okay to run jobs end to end on SAS DI even if you don't have the change management profile? I'm unsure if it's okay to have the job finish until loading/updating the Oracle tables, will be the tables overwritten? Currently, I still don't have the change management profile and is trying to test and run on the dev server, I created my own test folder on My Folder, copied and pasted the jobs there. When running the jobs I just exclude the loading to Oracle process although I'm having trouble validating the results since sometimes the temporary tables are not enough for me if the results were impacted by my changes.

TIA!

tsndrct1234_0-1644286202386.png

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

DIS change management will allow you to check in/check out SAS metadata so you can apply changes to SAS metadata objects on a "copy" plus it also ensures that no one else is changing the same object at the same time (IF everybode uses change control).

BUT: This is only about SAS metadata. The code that gets generated still is "the same" and this code will do whatever you've set-up - which includes changing data in a physical target table. The physical target table remains the same whether your table metadata object is checked out or not.

tsndrct1234
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks, Patrick!

"BUT: This is only about SAS metadata. The code that gets generated still is "the same" and this code will do whatever you've set-up - which includes changing data in a physical target table. The physical target table remains the same whether your table metadata object is checked out or not."

-Does it mean that whatever I do, AS LONG AS I'm on a dev server (using change management or not) data will remain unchanged UNLESS I check it in, correct?
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

No.

You must understand the difference between metadata (which you check-out/in under change management) and data (e.g. in Oracle tables).

Data will be unchanged until you execute your job/code.

Data never sleeps
tsndrct1234
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks @LinusH!
"Data will be unchanged until you execute your job/code."
-Yup, but under the change management, the original copy of the data will not be affected right? Then is it safe to run the whole job end to end? Sorry for having too many questions, DIS so new to me.
Thanks!
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Change management in SAS has nothing to do with your data in your database.

Please talk to your system/SAS admin/scrum master/architect to get a better understandin on how your environment is setup/working.

Data never sleeps

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation