BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ssbxvm
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone,

I'm importing data from a database view using a proc SQL statement.  Unfortunately I have no power over column names, and quite a number of the column names include a period in the name (e.g. VARIABLE.NAME).  I know that SAS will automatically rename the variable name if it contains non-standard characters.  Is there some option that I can use where SAS will replace the "." in a column name with an underscore as well when creating the dataset?

Right now I'm looking at having to use string literal for all SAS variable names that include a period.  I'd rather not do that since I already have pre-created formats for correctly named SAS variables. Thank you!

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE RANDOM_NAME
AS SELECT * FROM Database.View;
QUIT;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
options validvarname=v7;

If you have this option set, SAS should convert it to the appropriate names. 

@ssbxvm wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm importing data from a database view using a proc SQL statement.  Unfortunately I have no power over column names, and quite a number of the column names include a period in the name (e.g. VARIABLE.NAME).  I know that SAS will automatically rename the variable name if it contains non-standard characters.  Is there some option that I can use where SAS will replace the "." in a column name with an underscore as well when creating the dataset?

Right now I'm looking at having to use string literal for all SAS variable names that include a period.  I'd rather not do that since I already have pre-created formats for correctly named SAS variables. Thank you!

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE RANDOM_NAME
QUIT;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User
options validvarname=v7;

If you have this option set, SAS should convert it to the appropriate names. 

@ssbxvm wrote:

Hello everyone,

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE RANDOM_NAME
QUIT;

ssbxvm
Calcite | Level 5
I knew it had to be something simple. Thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation