BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jpa8r
Calcite | Level 5

I’m trying to use a series of datasets created in windows circa 1995 (with .ssd extensions).  Sas appears to recognize them as legit using the v604 engine, but when I try to use, gives the error “The value is not a valid SAS name.” and aborts with 0 observations and 1 variable (see below).

I’m currently running sas 9.4 64 bit in Windows 7.

Possibly of note (but I don’t think so) is that I’m running Sas under Vmware Fusion on a mac. However, this runs fine with hundreds of other data sets (including .sd2 extension files from the late 90’s). 

These data sets are critical to recover, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

The Log file is below. I’m also attaching one of the smaller (.5 mb) datasets in case that’s of any help.

Thanks!

Joe Allen

University of Virginia

192  libname aja v604 'g:\';

NOTE: Libref AJA was successfully assigned as follows:

Engine:        V604

Physical Name: g:\

193  data new;set aja.randhsa;run;

ERROR: The value is not a valid SAS name.

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

WARNING: The data set WORK.NEW may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 1 variables.

6 REPLIES 6
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Are you sure its a SAS dataset?  Having a look at it there seems to be a lot of things wrong with it.  Just right click on it in Explorer and you will see four columns call YEAR then loads of other duplicates, plus unknown characters in format.  Have tried cimport but its not recognised, so not sure what to suggest for you.  Perhaps contact Support Desk and ask them to have a look.

jpa8r
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your input

Yes, I'm quite sure it's a SAS dataset.  If I view it in textedit (from my mac) the first line is SAS   6.03    IBMPC   DOS             AJA     RANDHSATDATA

followed by characters textedit couldn't read, followed by variable names and labels and followed by what looks like very structured unprintable characters (i.e., data)

JerryV
SAS Employee

I'm guessing you're running a 64 bit OS and that's a 32 bit file.  I'd suggest you contact SAS Technical Support to assist.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Congratulations, correct answer.  I just tried it on 32 bit SAS and it opens fine.  Only just got 64bit so hadn't even thought about it.

Stephen
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm having the exact same issue, but don't have access to a 32-bit version of SAS. Any suggestions for using 64-bit SAS to accomplish this?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Unfortunately I don't think you can read it at all from 64-bit SAS. You need to find a friendly 32-bit SAS user to convert it for you using PROC CPORT or by creating a SAS transport dataset.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation