BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Abhigyan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there!!

I have created a complex job which branches out to around 10 flows. It starts with a SQL read node which is reading data from a SQL Server database. The table from which data is being read contains around 3.2 million records. A filter has been added and around 1.6 million records are being written. After reading, the data is being processed for quality.

All these is taking up a lot of time - approximately 20 minutes for reading the data and around 4 hours for processing the data and completing the job.

Is there any way that DataFlux can be configured to complete jobs/read and process data at a much faster way? Can any configurations be done in order to fine tune the jobs?

I have attached a screenshot to illustrate the time the job is taking.

Time.png
9 REPLIES 9
skillman
SAS Employee

Abhigyan,

Can you provide a sample of the logic you are executing following the branch node?

Are you doing any filtering in the 'Add GAR...' expression node? If so add that logic to the Data Input node.

What is being done in the embedded jobs?

Give us some additional details and we can help you further.

Preformance can also be impacted by the hardware capabilities of the machine and should be a consideration as well.

-shawn

Abhigyan
Calcite | Level 5

Hey Shawn

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Following the branch node, i am just adding a few columns and passing some values to those columns. In the "Add GAR.." expression node, I am adding a column. No filtering over there.

In the embedded jobs, I am using a data job to check for a certain pattern using a if else statements.

if(ascii(x)==49 or ascii(x)==50 . . . . . .  or ascii(x)=57)

return true

else

return false

skillman
SAS Employee

Abhigyan,

Is the "Lookup map i..." node the exact same, just repeated 14 times? If so can you add that expression logic into the "Add GAR c..." node and put the branch after that? What your job is doing is taking all 3.2 million records and evaluating the "Lookup map i..." 14 times. Which is 3.2m records * 44.8m records to process. Moving the "Lookup map i..." logic into the "Add GAR c..." node reduces that overhead. Also you can combine some of the "Global Accou..." and "Accounting Re..." nodes and add branches after those to reduce processing.

-shawn

Abhigyan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Shawn

I have put that "Lookup Map..."  in front of branch. Its executing a bit faster. Anything apart from that which can be implemented, such as changing any of the advanced properties or the configuration files??

skillman
SAS Employee

The Branch node has a memory cache size option that you can increase which could help. What node are you using to output data? If you are outputting data to a database you can change the commit frequency in the options to commit every 100,000 records (as an example) instead of committing every row which is the default.

-shawn

Abhigyan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Shawn

Will definitely try increasing the branch memory cache size option. Also will change the commit frequency and check.

BTW, for our job, we are writing to the DB using an expression where we are using the Expression Engine Language and DSNs to write data.

anna_holland
SAS Employee

Skillman, thank you for joining the conversation and providing such a helpful tip. , try increasing the branch memory cache size option and let us know how it works for you!

-Anna-Marie

skillman
SAS Employee

Abhigyan,

The Expression DSN may be opening and closing the cursor for each record you wish to write to the database. This could definitely be your bottleneck.

-shawn

Abhigyan
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Shawn. That is a good point you have raised. I will come back to you by implementing the changes.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation