BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BradHartford
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

Is there a way to have SAS output files automatically obtain the default permissions, and default ACLs of the destination folder?

I am not a SAS administrator, but I am the Linux administrator for the SAS servers.

Currently when SAS 9.3 jobs are submitted, and the output from the jobs lands in our Linux directory structure, only some of the files obtain the default folder permissions and default ACLs of the destination. 

The attachment shows an example of 3 files generated by the same SAS job, but only 2 obtained the default ACLs of the output folder.

This causes users to not have proper access to all of the files they just created via SAS.

Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

How are users running their SAS jobs? From EG or some other way? Are they using there own user account to connect to the SAS server? If so then SAS starts a workspace server session using that account and uses any of the permissions for that account set up at the OS level. In other words this is a linux user permissions issue rather than a SAS configuration issue.

I don't use linux so I'll leave it up to the linux experts to help you further. 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@BradHartford

The user under which the SAS process executes is the one writing the files. Depending on how SAS is configured and how users connect to SAS that can either be the actual user or a system account.

Besides of having the users in the right groups it might also be worth getting this sorted together with the SAS Admin as he/she should be able to do his/her bit in getting such permission issues sorted by "enforcing" a UMASK for SAS sessions.

http://support.sas.com/kb/38/040.html 

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/SAS-Permissions-with-Windows-and-Unix/t...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation