BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
suttipop
Calcite | Level 5

I'm a new SAS's developer. I'm using SAS-DI to create a job. I need to put filename into a column of data because I create a job that read multiple input files and write it into a output file. The filename column will help to trackback to input file.

I try to create a external file connect to file reader box. It look like below.

SAS.PNG

In external file (INPUT FILE), I put additional options to keep filename into "infilename" variable.

SAS4.PNG 

In File Reader box, I put "infilename" variable into expression at the filename column.

SAS2.PNG

Running is pass but It error when I try to open output of File Reader box. The error message is "Unable to execute query: SQL passthru expression contained these errors: ERROR: The following columns were not found in the contributing tables: infilename."

Please advice me, How to put filename into the data using SAS-DI

SAS3.PNG

Please advice me, How to put filename into the data using SAS-DI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Added on 19 September 2017 by the author of below post:

Below solution actually doesn't work because DIS will generate the length definition for _infilename AFTER variable _infilename has been used in filename=_infilename. Because of this sequence _infilename will actually get assigned a default and too short length. The SAS log will show the following Warning

WARNING: Length of character variable _infilename has already been set. 
         Use the LENGTH statement as the very first statement in the DATA STEP to declare the length of a character variable.

Refer to https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Data-Management/Adding-Multiple-Filenames-to-DI-Studio-Job/m-p/39... for solution options.

@suttipop

It's always worth to look into the generated code to understand why things are not working - and to get ideas what you could try to make it work.

As @LinusH was hinting there is a "hack" option to make this work.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Once you've done such a set-up look into the generated code to understand how this affected code generation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The automatically created variable from the filename= option cannot be included in the dataset. You have to assign its value to another variable in the data step.

Since your question concerns DI Studio, I will move your post to the proper Data Management community.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
It's not a ready made check box for this, but it can be accomplished in several ways.
How so you generate the file name, and what transformation(s) do you use?
Data never sleeps
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Sorry, didn't see the attached images.
Your problem is that the mapping occurs in a sub sequent SQL step, and I guess your INFILE optiona is not preserved there. Check the generated code to understand how things are executing.

"FILENAME= variable is not written to the data set."

I need to get home to my own SAS DIS for experimenting a bit...
Data never sleeps
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I didn't have time to experiment. But one dirty trick would be to add an assignment statement in the INFILE options box, so the filename variable is preserved.
But still wonder how you set the physical file name in the first place. There are more elegant solutions if you have it as a parameter to the job, and a loop job in case of multiple files.
Data never sleeps
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Added on 19 September 2017 by the author of below post:

Below solution actually doesn't work because DIS will generate the length definition for _infilename AFTER variable _infilename has been used in filename=_infilename. Because of this sequence _infilename will actually get assigned a default and too short length. The SAS log will show the following Warning

WARNING: Length of character variable _infilename has already been set. 
         Use the LENGTH statement as the very first statement in the DATA STEP to declare the length of a character variable.

Refer to https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Data-Management/Adding-Multiple-Filenames-to-DI-Studio-Job/m-p/39... for solution options.

@suttipop

It's always worth to look into the generated code to understand why things are not working - and to get ideas what you could try to make it work.

As @LinusH was hinting there is a "hack" option to make this work.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Once you've done such a set-up look into the generated code to understand how this affected code generation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation