BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

I have Excel file dates in the form dd/mm/yyyy .

When I infile it into SAS it orders the dates into mm/dd/yyyy, so how can I reorder it back?

For example, in Excel I have 31/12/2010, when I infile it to SAS it makes it 12/31/2010, so how to make it back to 31/12/2010, i.e, how to change the day's place with the month's

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, the short answer is NO. Dates, even when you read them from Excel are internally converted to the number of days since Jan 1, 1960. For example:

-2 internally stored would format as 30Dec1959

-1 ... as 31Dec1959

0 ... as 01Jan1960

1 ... as 02Jan1960

2 ... as 03Jan1960

3 ... as 04Jan1960

etc, etc.

SAS does not store dates as a text string but as the internal number of days (both positive and negative) from Jan 1, 1960. So, when you use a different FORMAT, SAS displays the number as a readable date.

So, asking whether it's possible to switch certain numbers (such as month) for other numbers (such as days) doesn't make sense when you have imported your data into SAS formats. The way the number is internally stored is either a positive or negative number on a time line and doesn't really include "months" or "days" until you apply the format. Just for fun, try the WEEKDATE. or WORDDATE. formats.

cynthia

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

Apply the appropriate format.

data want;

set have;

format date ddmmyyd10.;

run;

Here' s a list of formats by category, look for the one you want, ddmmyy, then there are two options:

ddmmyy and ddmmyyx - you want the x one because you want to specify a delimiter of slash (/).

SAS(R) 9.2 Language Reference: Dictionary, Fourth Edition

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Hi Reeza,

I actually tried your method and I guess that in this situation its the most efficient

But I was wondering is it possible to change the places of specific numbers and/or letters with others?

Thank you

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, the short answer is NO. Dates, even when you read them from Excel are internally converted to the number of days since Jan 1, 1960. For example:

-2 internally stored would format as 30Dec1959

-1 ... as 31Dec1959

0 ... as 01Jan1960

1 ... as 02Jan1960

2 ... as 03Jan1960

3 ... as 04Jan1960

etc, etc.

SAS does not store dates as a text string but as the internal number of days (both positive and negative) from Jan 1, 1960. So, when you use a different FORMAT, SAS displays the number as a readable date.

So, asking whether it's possible to switch certain numbers (such as month) for other numbers (such as days) doesn't make sense when you have imported your data into SAS formats. The way the number is internally stored is either a positive or negative number on a time line and doesn't really include "months" or "days" until you apply the format. Just for fun, try the WEEKDATE. or WORDDATE. formats.

cynthia

ballardw
Super User

Example of what you want it look like. There are many things possible using a custom format and/or parsing the parts of a date with the appropriate SAS functions. I would recommend strongly looking in the online help for the Date formats as there are way too many for me to list manually.

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

sorry I wanted to put your answer as helpful (instead of mine, I didn't make any answer), could I somehow do that?

Community_Help
SAS Employee

Hi - I just unmarked your answer per your request and marked the one directly above as helpful - is that correct?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation