BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Kels123
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I am doing a study where I look at how subjects move between two different environments (e.g. hospital and home) over time. I have found a way to code all dates that correspond to time spent in the hospital as 0, and all dates that correspond to time spent at home as 1 (time=0, 0; time = 1). If someone moves from the hospital to the home and then back to the hospital, they might have values for time of time=0, 1, and then 0 again. However, in many cases there are redundant measurements, i.e. not every date corresponds to a movement (e.g. if someone gets blood drawn while in the hospital, their time variable will still = 0, such that they might have multiple time=0 in a row). Please see the attachment for example of what the data output currently looks like (note that there are subject ID numbers that I have truncated to protect confidentiality).

What I would like to do is define the time periods by assigning a counter to each date that respresents a change in environment. In other words, for each patient, I would like to label their first date where time=0 as period=0, their first date where time=1 as period=1, the first date (after period 2) where time=0 as period 3, and the first date (after period 3) where time=1 as period 4, and so on and so forth. However, because there are often multiple time=0's in a row and time=1's in a row, and "time" (the variable) switches between 0 and 1 instead of increasing over time, I can't figure out how to do this. In the attachment, the variable "period" I created for subject #48 should be = 1, then 2, then 3. But here you can see it is wrong (=1,1,2).

Alternatively, I could create a simpler database by just extracting out the first dates where "time" is different (e.g. focusing on the frst observation for subject #32 and ignoring the second observation, aka the one on 7/17/2012, since time=0 for both dates) so that each date represents a movement to a different environment, and then I could just apply a counter based on the subject ID and date. But I don't know how to do this either.

I realize this is a very convoluted question, but if any of this rings a bell, please let me know! Thanks so much.

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 8.39.29 PM.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

This may get you going in the right direction. I'm assuming that the dates are sorted correctly.

Tom

data want;

set have;

by PatientNo notsorted Time notsorted;

retain Period;

if first.PatientNo

then Period = 1;

if ^first.PatientNo & first.Time

then Period = Period + 1;

run;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

This may get you going in the right direction. I'm assuming that the dates are sorted correctly.

Tom

data want;

set have;

by PatientNo notsorted Time notsorted;

retain Period;

if first.PatientNo

then Period = 1;

if ^first.PatientNo & first.Time

then Period = Period + 1;

run;

Kels123
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you so much! This was exactly what I was looking for.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation