SAS Data Integration Studio, DataFlux Data Management Studio, SAS/ACCESS, SAS Data Loader for Hadoop and others

Hash Left Join

Occasional Contributor

Hash Left Join

Hi,

I need to do Hash joins to get the following result by joining B to A

Dataset: A   
IDNameSex 
1JayM 
2JeeM 
3MinF 

Dataset: B   
IDSal  

Result   
IDNameSexSal
1JayM55
2JeeM65
3MinF75

Super User

Re: Hash Left Join

Why do you have to do a hash join? It is a lot easier using SQL or a DATA step merge.

Occasional Contributor

I have to combine 7M records and it cannot be done using SQl and Data step due to processing constraints.
Respected Advisor

@jpm2478

It shouldn't be hard to propose a solution once we understand what you really have and need. Because your narrative (left join) doesn't match the desired result you've posted, it's a bit hard to propose anything.

Can you please answer @PGStats question and then "amend" your question so we can understand what needs to be done?

Super User

I don't believe that an SQL join or a DATA step merge is too "process constrained" to handle 7M records. I've got DATA step merges that handle close to 200M records in a reasonable time frame. My approach is to use the simplest method that still processes efficiently. Hash joins have their place and I use them myself, but only for special cases where they offer a major advantage.

If you have tried other techniques please post the results including run times so we help you choose the best approach.

Trusted Advisor

You posted result is not what a left join would produce.  It would match every A record with each B record with the same ID, produce a new record for each match.  Result would be 9 records.

Esteemed Advisor

As @mkeintz said, the example you gave is not a left join. Given the following data, what would be the result? Knowing what your operational constraints are would also help us to propose an appropriate solution.

Dataset: A      
ID Name Sex  
1 Jay M  
2 Jee M  
3 Min F

4 Xxx M  
Dataset: B      
ID Sal    
1 55    
2 65    
3 75    
1 155