BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Hi team,

Using SAS Access to Hadoop on RHEL 6 running SAS 9.4 M3 connecting to Hive on HDP.

Since this site uses ZooKeeper as services discovery, I'm using the URI option in the libname statement. The URI string has been validated outside of SAS and working. I can access Ambari and run queries against the Hive table with no issues.

However, when connecting from SAS, I keep on getting 'schema not found' when trying to assign the libname.

Doesn't matter what I do, I keep getting this.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @nhvdwalt

I think that I can explain this. Keberos user name may not be case sensitive. This could allow you to connect.  The Hive schemas are tied to HDFS file system names and are case sensitive. So "BOB" does not equal "bob". The problem is when you try to access your data the schema names (really HDFS file system) do not match because they are not the same case. This results in a "schema not found" message.

Best wishes,

Jeff

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @nhvdwalt

By "services discovery" do you mean Hive High Availability?

If so, this is not supported at SAS 9.4M3. It is a new feature for SAS 9.4M4. The connection must be made to a specific Hive at M3.

Best wishes,

Jeff

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, I actually forgot to post the solution.

I'm not a Hadoop expert....so this is my understanding. At our site we cannot connect directly to Hive. We connect to Hive via ZooKeeper, hence the need for the URI option. The HA topic has never come up, so I would assume it's not that.

The cause of the problem, was the credentials I connect to Hadoop with. This site uses Kerberos. If I generate the TGT with my user in upper case, all is ok and I can see the Hive database. If I generate my TGT in lowercase, it fails with the above error. It's bizarre. For some reason Hadoop only authorises my when I'm uppercase, but will authenticate me either way. Funny enough, Ambari doesn't care how I sign on and I can see all resources I have been granted access to.

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @nhvdwalt

I think that I can explain this. Keberos user name may not be case sensitive. This could allow you to connect.  The Hive schemas are tied to HDFS file system names and are case sensitive. So "BOB" does not equal "bob". The problem is when you try to access your data the schema names (really HDFS file system) do not match because they are not the same case. This results in a "schema not found" message.

Best wishes,

Jeff

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Great, thanks @JBailey

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

My pleasure, @nhvdwalt

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation