BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Rajiv468
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, Im doing ETL for new system/DM. My Target can only have 2 years data anytime though source can have much more than that. I have 2 transaction files(Assume 2 Business Unit's or Product's) and other tables for dimensions and few reference tables etc.. Now i have to pickup min date from both transaction files(may be different for each file) and extract data from other tables/files only if it is >= min(date). I have to pass this min date as variable for extraction to other jobs or the all the staging jobs should know that data can contain only >= min(date) for that particular business Unit

from min(date)  to next 2 years or 24 months data to be extracted this way. 

. Can somebody help me with approach and ways to achieve this? Thank You! Raj

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You can pass such reference constants to your SAS batch jobs via commandline (using the -sysparm commandline option), through environment variables (which can be questioned with the %sysget macro function), or by reading from an external file

So, if you have separate jobs to be run, first run one that determines the min date and writes it to a file. Then you can read that file in subsequent jobs and retrieve the date.

If you do it in one job, it is much easier.

Do

proc sql;
select min(date) into: mindate from transaction_table;
quit;

so you can use &mindate later in the same job.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Are you using DI Studio?
Data never sleeps
Rajiv468
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

Yes. Im using DI for this.

Thanks!
Raj

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Not sure ix I follow the overall design, bug to answer the direct question: extract the nib date(s) and store in a permanent table. Then have other jobs either create a macro variable from it, or join, depending on how you wish to apply you logic.
Macro variable can be created in the autoexec, pre step or in a user written transformation.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation