BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi All,

I wonder whether we can use SAS to access the Tableau server data? How will the connection to Tableau server be established? Thank you!

In our company, there are people using Tableau, there is no problem to use SAS data as a data source to Tableau server. While I am trying to use the Tableau data in SAS, and do not know how to build the connection from Tableau server to SAS?

Any comments are welcome!

Jade

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @Jade_SAS

I took a look at the Tableau site. I don't see an ODBC driver that enables a user to use the Tableau server as a data source. I could have missed it. If an ODBC 3.5 compliant driver exists it can be used with SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC. 

If you find a driver, this paper may help you - An Insider's Guide to SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC

Best wishes,
Jeff

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
SAS can read any ODBC compliant data source. I would start there.
Data never sleeps
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

As long as you have SAS/ACCESS to ODBC installed and licensed.

Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you! What's the connecting syntax if you happen to know?

Jade

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

First fix the connection from your server, and test the connection outside SAS.

For syntax, it's all there in the SAS/ACCESS to Relational databases (there is an ODBC section as well). 

Connection can be done either by LIBNAME or SQL CONNECT TO.

Data never sleeps
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you, now I have the direction to start!

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @Jade_SAS

I took a look at the Tableau site. I don't see an ODBC driver that enables a user to use the Tableau server as a data source. I could have missed it. If an ODBC 3.5 compliant driver exists it can be used with SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC. 

If you find a driver, this paper may help you - An Insider's Guide to SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC

Best wishes,
Jeff

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
It migh be like @JBailey says, and that wouldn't be surprising since IMO Tableau is "just" a visualization tool, not a data storage engine.
That said, they are getting their data from somewhere else. In the best of worlds it would a data warehouse that you use as a more reliable source.
Data never sleeps
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Many thanks to both of you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation