Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

where did it go?

Occasional Learner

where did it go?

i was using sas univ. results in ie window. i go for a walk com back and ALL OF THE RESULTS AND CODE HAVE DISAPPEARED. if you dont save or print your results, wlhen the browser refreshes are your results gone. this free sas is turning out to be very costly. 

Super User

Re: where did it go?

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to mtrobinson

Always save your code. If code is saved then you can always re-run. 

This is the millennial(?) version of having your application crash. 

Edit: Answering your question - it's gone and I highly doubt you can get it back 😟

Super User
Super User

Posted in reply to mtrobinson

There is a very old anecodote for this in Programming 101:

Jesus and Satan have a discussion as to who is the better programmer. This goes on for a few hours until they come to an agreement to hold a contest, with God as the judge. 

They sit themselves at their computers and begin. They type furiously, lines of code streaming up the screen, for several hours straight. Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes, taking out the electricity. Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over. 

He asks Satan to show what he has come up with. Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing. I lost it all when the power went out." 

"Very well, then," says God, "let us see if Jesus fared any better." 

Jesus enters a command, and the screen comes to life in vivid display, the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers. Satan is astonished. 

He stutters, "B-b-but how? I lost everything, yet Jesus' program is intact. How did he do it?" 

God smiled all-knowingly, "Jesus saves."

- Save anything you need.  Have a backup system in case your main storage fails.  Have a longterm backup storage of your backup in case of major disaster.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @mtrobinson. I've thought about this since you posted it and am sorry you lost work. I'm not aware of any browser window refresh which takes place without the user's intervention. Having said that, it would be good if you know of anything that might have preceded this. I will say that I get to hear of most problems and this isn't one of which I'm aware. Still, until a file is saved, it's not going to be permanently stored. I know that some web applications (like Google Docs) automatically save in the background, but then you'd be subject to being connected to the Internet, which isn't the model for SAS University Edition.

Again, I'm sorry you lost work time. If you remember anything which might help others, please let us know.

Randy

Super User

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

@RandyMullis I've had this happen occasionally. Not every time, which can lull you into a sense of complacency Smiley Happy

I typically use Chrome or Safari, neither is set to update automatically.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation