Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

problem importing data SAS Studio

New Contributor

problem importing data SAS Studio

Hello,

I recently ran into a problem importing data from my computer to SAS Studio University Edition. I can see the data I want to import to the left of the screen, under the My Folders tab, listed as test.xls. I wrote

proc import dbms=xls out=test datafile='folders/myfolders/test.xls';

And I got the error: Physical file does not exist, /opt/sasinside/SASConfig/Lev1/SASApp/folders/myfolders/test.xls

I am using the VMware Player on a 64 bit windows machine. I tried using SAS studio both in Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

New Contributor

Re: problem importing data SAS Studio

Nevermind, I found the answer in another discussion.  I needed a forward slash in the address 'folders/myfolders/test.xls' ==> '/folders/myfolders/test.xls'

Yikes! Talk about picky. That sort of thing out to be made clear in the quick start manual.

SAS Employee

Thanks for posting your solution to the SAS Analytics U communities.  In response to your statement about adding this information the to quick start manual, I have added a note to the Can I create a SAS table from a Microsoft Excel file? topic in the SAS University Edition: Help Center.  Hopefully, this note will help other customers before they encounter the same problem.

Super User
Super User

Not really picky.  Just normal computer behavior for relative versus absolute file names.  Just like if you forget to dial 9 to get an outside line from an office telephone.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation